Unpopular Opinion

Saturday, April 01, 2017 10 Comments A+ a-

Could someone please explain to me where #UnpopularOpinion came from on Twitter? I'm all for people spreading their opinions and sharing what matters to them, but this whole unpopular option thing just gets on my nerves.

Now don't get me wrong, when it comes to things I love like avocados on toast and Ed Sheeran, you may think that this post is coming out of pure defence and anger but I promise you it's not, these would only be examples.

Okay, so this whole "Am I the only one who doesn't like avocados?" "I don't like avocados, there I said it" "Why does every blogger like avocados?" For one, what the fuck did avocados do to you? People like avocados, yay, but what makes you have the right to now state you don't like them? Because they're "blogger" I don't even know what blogger made these so "blogger", just because you so happen to follow shit loads of bloggers who so happen to like avocados, now you want to share how much you don't and sharing the hashtag of unpopular opinion makes it all better?

Then what happens next? You post this tweet and then you get 37 retweets and 9283 likes, not so unpopular now right? Why? BECAUSE NO ONE STATES WHAT THEY DON'T LIKE, NO ONE WANTS TO BE THIS NEGATIVE ABOUT AVOCADOS (okay at this point, think of the word avocados as anything else you see around that "people don't like")

Do you see me tweeting about how much I don't like oranges? (I do like oranges) but you know what I mean, like there's just no point right? But if I just randomly tweeted that, it wouldn't matter, but because these people pointing out that it's unpopular because they believe "most people do", but not every person needs to now go against what everyone else loves. There's no need to hate on what other people love, but there is also nothing wrong with stating an opinion, so if you're going to do so, then do so, there's no need to feel that you're attacking others in the process.

I understand that to others seeing the same thing over and over again may be annoying, but now telling me you don't like them does not change what I or what others are saying, so you either be straight up or don't say it at all.

So, to conclude this silly rant, I just don't see why anything has to be stated as an "unpopular opinion" even if it's saying you do like something. Why should we be ashamed of what we think?

Want to know more?

10 comments

Write comments
Monday, 03 April, 2017 delete

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who feels that so-called "unpopular opinions" are often touted just to get likes or retweets! I love avocados so if that makes me cliche, I don't give a damn haha! Loved this post, your blog is always the source of something a little different!

Abbey 💋 www.abbeylouisarose.co.uk

Claire Gordon
AUTHOR
Monday, 03 April, 2017 delete

I love this! I never really understood the whole point of #UnpopularOpinion's anyway! Thanks for sharing.
Claire xo
www.clairelouiisexo.co.uk

Monday, 03 April, 2017 delete

I used to actually go along with these tweets! But now I feel as though people just do it for the retweets and to put others down, which is why for years I've always rolled my eyes now! And you're totally right! What's wrong with avocados? I'm not overly keen but it's just a piece of fruit?!

sophieannetaylor.com

lifeasloismay
AUTHOR
Monday, 03 April, 2017 delete

Thank you, someone else who gets it! I probably am guilty of saying 'unpopular opinion' but I don't think I'd ever tweet about it. Just positing 'negative' stuff, nah! I just want positivity and blog posts on my timeline! Great read
Lois x
www.lifeasloismay.wordpress.com

Nicole Gore
AUTHOR
Monday, 03 April, 2017 delete

Agreed "Unpopular opinion" is just for show and for people to say what they dislike without trying to upset everyone, no wonder people say our generation is to soft when we have to state it first.

Nicole Xx
www.mysurvivalcollective.com

Monday, 03 April, 2017 delete

I think it's fair for people to like something as much as dislike something. But I mean, if you don't like avocados, don't follow people who are avocado toast enthusiasts if avocado is just so disturbing to you. People liking things isn't an attack and I feel like some people act like it is. Everyone just needs to chill, ya know. Let people like things and don't be a dick.

Breanna Catharina
toocuteforlife.com

Monday, 03 April, 2017 delete

I've never thought about this haha! I'm pretty sure of these "unpopular" opinions aren't actually that unpopular just so they can get the RT ��

Tara Daniella
AUTHOR
Monday, 03 April, 2017 delete

Ah I completely get this! When the tag was doing the rounds on twitter I just felt like it was an excuse for people to be derogatory and even plain nasty whilst hiding behind a hashtag!

Monday, 03 April, 2017 delete

I had vaguely heard about this tag and i don't know, yeah not really my thing. It is kinda despising other people's tastes. LIke "I don't like this coz it is shit".. while people enjoy it... So yeah, stupid; xx Corinne

Steph's World
AUTHOR
Tuesday, 04 April, 2017 delete

This is brilliant! I haven't seen these before on twitter (I have no idea how I haven't) but I can totally see your point that there is no point to this.

Steph xx